Friday, July 15, 2011

Turning the Page

I'm jumping off a merry-go-round into an elevator headed for the top floor. In the last few years, I have allowed myself to believe that it was possible to sustain efforts of elevation while co-existing with others who are content with the insanity of walking in circles.

I guess the one thing that I remember most about amusement parks is that while I had loads of fun; there is one thing that remained constant: a circle of Distraction. You're never content with riding one ride because there are many others to choose from that all seem to suspend you high, low, left, right, front, back in the parameters of a circle. Even the music plays in a sequential loop that plays over and over in your head long after the ride is over. I believe there is power in repetition when our minds haven't completely developed, but if our brains are not exercised and trained to explore new grounds, question our barriers, and allow our perceptions to bend our realities the space of consciousness will perpetually evade us.

When I imagine turning the page at the end of a chapter, there is a moment that freezes in my mind. This moment is the point at which the page is in a perfectly vertical position. It is the catalyst, the cornerstone, the path right before the fork in the road. In this moment, we are challenged to reflect on our pastlives as we make the choice to continue to read, to live, to fight, to hope, to dream, to G-R-O-W. This analogy was born from an intent I posted at Intent.com, a spiritual wellness social networking site: "Page turning--Saturday marks a vertical point reached when the previous chapter is finished and a new chapter begins...such a short, reflective Silence." When the music stops and the ride is over, we find that we are usually in the same spot that we began?

Ending where I began? I'm simply not satisfied with that....are you?

No comments: